Fundamentals of Heavy Equipment (2 weeks – 78 hours):
This 2 week course is a pre-requisite to the machine specific operator training program and provides students with the fundamentals of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) Reg. 213/91, safety, equipment types and components, operating techniques, transportation, and maintenance that apply to heavy equipment in the construction industry.
Students also complete training in WHMIS, Fall Protection, First Aid, and CPR.
Grader Training (4 weeks – 162 hours):
- Each field exercise includes an instructor led demonstration, followed by a student practice session with ongoing coaching, skills evaluation and feedback from the instructor via two-way radio.
- The construction-type field exercises progress from basic to advanced level. Introductory training on a laser control system is included
- Perform pre-operational inspection
- Comply with scheduled maintenance requirements
- Plan work procedures
- Comply with grades and stakes
- Operate Grader:
- Set up equipment
- Scarify and rip surface materials
- Strip surface materials
- Spread materials
- Create ditches
- Create slopes
- Grade around a fixed object
- Establish various grade profiles
- Follow shutdown procedure
- Load grader on transport vehicle
Student/Instructor Ratio: 6 students to 1 instructor
Student Seat Time: Student will always be operating a grader on a continual basis of 8 hours per day for 4 weeks of practical training.
Total Program Duration: (6 weeks - 240 hours)
*Students returning to be trained for another piece of equipment are exempt from Fundamentals of Heavy Equipment.