The Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) has apprenticeship programs for heavy equipment operators in Ontario. The apprenticeship programs includes both an in-school and an on-the-job component.
Types of Heavy Equipment Apprenticeships
- Tractor Loader Backhoe (TLB) - 636A
- Excavator - 636B
- Bull-Dozer - 636C
- Each occupation is a 2,000 - 2,500 hour apprenticeship which includes 240 hours of in-school training
Apprenticeship with International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE), Local 793
- IUOE, Local 793 acts as a potential employer
- IUOE, Local 793 requires potential apprentices to be at least 18 years of age
- To have completed Ontario grade 12 or equivalent
To apply for an apprenticeship with IUOE, Local 793 you must submit a copy of:
- Your resume and/or application form
- Proof of an Ontario Grade 12 or equivalent and transcript
- Current driver's abstract
- Must write a trade entrance exam and achieve 70% or higher
This Employment Ontario program is funded by the Ontario government.